Sometimes you’re just unhappy about your broadband speed — it has been slower than usual, you’re paying a lot of money every month, and, to make things worse, you’re not being able to complete any work or enjoy your free time online.

It is not a secret that the internet is becoming more and more necessary in our daily lives. That is why it is necessary for consumers to know their rights when it comes to internet service and how to exercise them.

However, in order for you to stand a chance at getting a positive response from your internet provider, there are several steps to follow. Here’s what you need to do to successfully complain about your 4G home broadband, 4G mobile broadband or your internet package in general.

Before we dive into the steps, first we suggest that you try the following before making an official complaint:

Try to fix the problem

If your broadband speed is slower than usual due to a technical problem, you can try to fix it yourself, as most home internet providers offer troubleshooting tips on their websites.

Also, you can get in touch with your provider’s customer service. They will probably connect you with technical support so that they can guide you through similar steps.

Keep track of everything you do

Before making an official complaint, keep a record of speed tests, bills, the number of times you got in touch with someone from customer service, et cetera. This will be helpful once you decide to escalate the complaint.

Determine whether your complaint is valid

Determine whether your issue is not a limitation or a feature of your current home broadband or internet deal.

Even though sometimes there’s little your provider can do about it, it doesn’t mean you don’t deserve a better service if your current plan is performing below your expectations.

How to Complain About Broadband Speed: 4 Steps

Get in touch with your provider

First and foremost, you need to get in touch with your broadband provider and make them aware of the issue.

Traditionally, there are several channels through which you can contact your provider: email, phone or via their website. If you can’t get in touch with tech support, call the regular customer service and they will help you out with your complaint.

Providers always attempt to resolve the issue during the first contact, and you may be offered a solution or an alternative right there. If this is not a satisfactory outcome, you can ask them to escalate the issue.

Escalate the complaint

If you feel your complaint is not being given the desired attention or wasn’t resolved during the initial contact, you can request for it to be escalated to a more senior level.

Your internet provider should offer precise details on how to do this. Explain that you’re not happy with how your issue is being handled and that you want it to be escalated to a senior member within the company.

Agree with the resolution or request a deadlock letter

Once your internet provider has explained their final position on your issue, they may or may not offer an alternative or compensation.

If you’re not happy with this outcome, you are entitled to request a deadlock letter —a formal confirmation that both parties were unable to reach an arrangement. Thus, you can take your complaint to the ombudsman.

Complain to the ombudsman

The ombudsman will go over your case and issue a response. If they agree with you, they will ask your internet provider to offer an apology, financial compensation or change in their procedure to prevent a similar issue.

Private internet companies are not legally bound to accept these decisions, but it is unusual for them not to do so.